Build a simple headboard with stock materials from Loews or Home Depot
1. Make a face frame with 1x4 and 1x6 poplar wood. Poplar is a good wood to use when painting. True measurement of 1x4 is 3/4" x 3.1/2" and 1x6 is 3/4" x 5.1/2"
2. Predrill and screw 1x2 poplar to face frame. the true measurement of 1x2 is 3/4" x 1.1/2"
3. Screw 3/4" birch plywood or MDF to the back of the face frame
4. Screw 1x2 to the top- back, of the headboard. ( Notice this piece has 25 degree angle rip, this is for installation purpose.) When installing the headboard, attach a piece of wood with the same angle to the wall, level in the opposite direction and the headboard will hang straight and level.
5. A small piece of crown molding works well for the top of the headboard. Ironically this molding is referred to as bed molding
6. Base cap molding is used to picture frame the panels and finish the bottom of the headboard.
7. My brother-in-law Joe and I discussing the room renovation
8. This summer my oldest son helped me with the renovation, notice the new Headboard